5 Kid-Friendly Hikes in Metro Vancouver!,
Blog post & photos by: Jennifer Danielson, Quarter Rest
Have kids? Or, perhaps you’re a “FUN Aunt” or Uncle? Well, there’s no better place than the Lower Mainland to keep kids happy, engaged and active. And, what better way to combine all three than by getting outside! Within 45 minutes of Surrey, you and your little ones can discover anything from a leisurely stroll to a climb through the mountains. Here are just a few of the many amazing parks to visit – and conquer – close to home:
1) Burnaby Fraser Foreshore Park, Burnaby – Take a stroller-friendly walk and picnic along the north side of the Fraser River. Bring the blankets and the barbeque, take a look along the banks of the river and watch the tugboats return upstream. >> Visit the Park
2) Burns Bog, Delta – This classic boardwalk around the unique North Delta peat bog is home to amazing plant life and wildlife. As one of the most unique ecosystems in the world, the bog is a great place to learn about nature & see woodland creatures like deer, owls, and more! >> Visit the Park
3) Deer Lake Park, Burnaby– Escape the city, inside the city. Walk the lakes, look for ducks, herons, eagles and turtles along the boardwalks of Deer Lake, or rent a kayak or a canoe to get even closer to the water.
>> Visit the Park
4) Boundary Bay, South Surrey – Check out both sides of the bay for everything from beaches to parks! This is a great spot for year-round birdwatching – including the seasonal snowy owls – and boasts wide, kid-friendly paths. >> Visit the Park
5) Minnekhada Park, Coquitlam – For more intrepid explorers, the trails here lead through the trees, over the water and up the mountainside for some amazing views and lots of hidden gems.
>> Visit the Park
Don’t forget to look around your own block – trails and pathways are everywhere in our West coast cities, where we keep our rivers, rainforests and mountains accessible. No matter the walk you’re looking for, it’s close by. Bring a water bottle and a good pair of shoes. Be sure to follow posted signs to be safe and enjoy everything the area has to offer with your whole family! The parks above are only a very few of the local walks and hikes!