The Sounds of Summer Music Series,
I went to a symphony orchestra concert in the park during one of my first summers on the West coast and was instantly hooked. The mellow music, warm July weather (with no mosquito swarms! Thanks, BC!) and good company made for a magical evening — and I kept coming back. That’s why I’m excited about the Sounds of Summer Music Series happening in 5 parks across Surrey every Wednesday night in July from 6-8pm (gates will open at 5pm).
Admission is FREE for these live musical performances, so just show up with your lawn chairs, blanket, some snacks and water bottles and enjoy the show. It’s a unique experience for locals and visitors alike.
- July 3. The Glades Woodland Rhododendron Garden – 561 172 St. This amazing 5-acre garden, with a beautiful array of plants, will provide the backdrop for a strings trio who will be performing classical music, such as Bach Air, Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, Ave Maria.
- July 10. Hawthorne Park – 10513 144 St. The playground and water park make this a natural setting for a family-themed evening! Enjoy music from a five-piece string orchestra as they perform songs from Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Sound of Music and other favourites.
- July 17. Fleetwood Park – 15802 80 Ave. Duelling strings will perform the classics, including Tango, Can’t Help Falling in Love, La Vie En Rose, all in a family-friendly park that sports a playground and picnic area.
- July 24. Darts Hill Garden Park – 16 Ave at 170 St. A jazz ensemble will pick up the tempo with tunes inspired by Michael Buble and Frank Sinatra, in a unique garden setting that features flora collected from all around the world.
- July 31. Bear Creek Park – 13750 88 Ave. Check out a 5-piece brass band as they turn this beautiful outdoor setting into nature’s stage.
Surrey had just one show last year, but popular demand has helped grow this music series into something much bigger that anyone can enjoy. For more information, you can visit the City of Surrey’s Sounds of Summer webpage. And, congrats to Dirk Mosert who won our contest for 4 stadium seats to the event!
Symphony in the Park Comes Back to Burnaby
Looking to go beyond Surrey to take in a musical experience? Symphony in the Park is coming back to Deer Lake Park in Burnaby on Sunday, July 14 from 7:30-9:30pm. The Vancouver Symphony Orchestra always delivers an encore performance!